A closed-circuit TV system involves more than simply placing a few cameras around the property and having either an assigned person monitor movement or record the situation – a CCTV system needs to be thought through and can enhance security in more ways than one. It’s about strategically placing monitoring devices at key areas, about selecting the correct controls, and about upholding the rights of the individuals (employees, visitors, and potential intruders). If you’re considering installing a CCTV system to enhance the security of your business, then this is for you: here’s your crucial guide to CCTV systems and how they can enhance your business security.
The benefits of CCTV
CCTV gives several advantages because it fights crime on several fronts. Here are just some of the major benefits:
- It deters crime. Criminals don’t like being watched and may not push through with their plans if they know their actions will be recorded.
- It prevents crime. A suspicious action recorded on CCTV (such as a reconnaissance by potential burglars) can lead guards to take proper precautions.
- It records crime. This is an essential piece of intelligence for investigative purposes.
Location of cameras
The location is very important – position the cameras so that:
- They are at key areas to maximise view
- They are protected
- They are hidden from view
Some legal issues to consider
It’s not something we like to think about, but even burglars have rights – and to make sure there is no legal battle (or worse, you have somehow violated the burglar’s rights), there are some legal issues to consider. Here are some of them:
- Always have a sign that says there is CCTV present and that people are being monitored.
- Always store the images you record – people who have been recorded have the right to those images. Store the images for as long as possible as you don’t know who may request the images.
- If the purpose of the CCTV is for security, the police should always have full access – this is because the purpose is for the prevention and detection of crime.
There’s no doubt that a closed-circuit TV system such as CCTV from Milton Keynes is effective and does indeed work – more often than not, the potential burglars change their mind when they know they can be monitored, and even if they decide to push through with their crooked plans, the CCTV is often a great help for law enforcement and insurance purposes. Moreover, a CCTV system requires only an initial investment and is an economical way to improve your overall security. However, the installation needs to be considered carefully – it needs to be done for optimum results. Remember, safety and security is everyone’s concern.