Multimeters are a very common type of electrical test tool used by electricians and other electrical professionals. Multimeters are so popular because they are actually a combination of three different electrical testing tools: a voltmeter, an ammeter, and an ohmmeter. This means that the tool measures electric voltage, current, and resistance. This simplifies testing greatly, meaning that you can invest and use a single tool instead of three separate ones.
Multimeters are commonly used in auto shops, labs, and other technical environments, where they use them to diagnose and resolve malfunctions in electrical systems. Since they are so efficient, it’s no wonder that they are such a popular tool for multi-purpose use. If you’re looking to buy a multimeter, you’ll want to know what to look for and how to choose the right tool. To learn more, here is a quick guide to get yourself started when looking for a digital multimeter in Malaysia.
Uses of Multimeters
Here are a few of the uses of multimeters:
- Measuring Volts – This is one of the most common and useful features of using a multimeter for your needs. The voltage between two points is important, especially when completing electrical work.
- Measuring Resistance in Circuits – Measuring the resistance is also key to completing electrical work and repairs.
- Measuring Current in Closed Circuits – With closed circuits, there can be instability if the current is not measured, calculated, and accommodated for properly.
Types of Multimeters
There are two main types of multimeters, each with their own unique benefits:
- Analog – Analog, unlike digital, multimeters run on a non-electronic system. This running system is older, but still effective, however, it may have less features.
- Digital – Digital multimeters are newer and often have more helpful features, however, they require a battery or charge to run.
Tips to Help You Choose the Right One
Here are a few tips to help you choose the right device for you and your needs. This way, you’ll know what you’re looking for and how to best choose a multimeter that works for you. When in doubt, you can contact a professional to help you with your selection. These tips, along with professional advice, will be able to get you started:
- Research – Firstly, be sure to do your research. You can search mainly online to help you know what kinds of devices are out there, their features, reviews, and the like.
- Know What You Need – Don’t forget to know exactly what you need from your multimeter and what is most important to you while making a selection. This will help you narrow down your options quickly.
- Choose a Type – Analog or digital: which will you choose? In general, digital devices tend to be more useful and more up to date for readability than analogue multimeters.
- Budget – Last but not least, keep affordability in mind. Find a price range that works for what you need to buy that won’t overwork your budget, then go from there for best results.